- Demonstrate SCHOMS’ commitment to staff development.
- Enhance member’s knowledge, skills, and experience through the SCHOMS network.
- Give examples of best practice.
- Provide support to members who wish to research or demonstrate innovation and excellence if their field.
Funding Limit and Intended Usage
- Funding up to a maximum value of £3,000.
- The Bursary Selection Committee may use its discretion in the allocation of the available budget according to the number and quality of Bursary applications received.
- Bursary may be used to fund the purchase of equipment and or resources in line with your institutional procedures to accomplish the agreed research tasks.
- Publish your findings in the agreed format.
- Fund the costs of the successful candidate to cover travel, and attendance fees to present findings at the SCHOMS annual conference.
Number of Annual Research Bursaries
- A maximum of 3 Research Bursaries will be awarded each year annually.
Duration of Research Project
- The program does not aim to be prescriptive. Applicants should, however, give due consideration to the amount of time necessary to achieve benefits from the bursary but also the amount of time required to complete their chosen activity.
- As a guideline, Bursaries are awarded annually, but if research / study is likely to be longer than a calendar year, this needs to be made clear in the application plan.
- If you have a research idea which requires money to be fully researched, then please apply. Past research awards have included Benchmarking, BYOD, Networked AV and Hearing reinforcement. It is a fantastic opportunity to undertake a research project which will not only benefit your CV, your own institution but also the wider SCHOMS community through dissemination.
Commitment to SCHOMS
- Application requires a plan and timeline for your project.
- Regular updates on progress to the SCHOMS Executive Committee, to be agreed on award.
- Provide a final report of outcomes within one month of the agreed research completion date. The report should be suitable for wider dissemination where appropriate. Applicants should note that if reports are not submitted, SCHOMS will seek return of 50% of award monies from the applicant’s institution.
- Present research outcomes at SCHOMS Annual Conference (this may fall in the following year).
- Successful applicants will act as ambassador for SCHOMS during their bursary and will agree, where appropriate and within reason, to undertake additional tasks at their host institution(s) to contribute to SCHOMS collaboration and cooperation.
- Successful applicants will support SCHOMS’ efforts to promote the SCHOMS bursary scheme.
- Feedback experience to SCHOMS Executive Committee.
- Full expenditure presented to SCOMS Executive Committee. See Practical Details.
Who Can Apply
- Research Bursaries are open to all members of SCHOMS.
What do I Need to Apply
- An identified subject for investigation.
- Have a good understanding of objectives to research the chosen topic.
- Be able to communicate your methods to gather your required results.
- Have a clear understanding of the schedule and timetable for completion of the study.
- Applications for the research bursary will be judged on 2 criteria weighted equally at 50%.
- The benefit of the output to the community.
- The credibility of the application.
- The selection panel will include at least three members of the SCHOMS Exec and an independent representative. Should a member of the SCHOMS Exec submit a proposal, they will be excluded from marking their own application.
Practical Details - Leave Considerations
- Applicants who require paid annual leave to undertake their chosen bursary activity will need to agree this with their home institution prior to applying.
Practical Details - Bursary Budget
- During the application process, applicants should inform their Line Manager and / or Head of Budget Centre that, if successfully awarded a research or presentation award, the money would be placed in the care of the institution, where payment would be issued to. A full account of expenditure will be required on completion of the Bursary by the SCHOMS Executive Committee. Any under-spend of the award must be returned to SCHOMS.
- Live link will be available on release.