The landscape of Higher Education is being reshaped by the challenges of COVID, globalisation and the digital revolution. There are growing pressures related to declining sources of income and rising costs and yet students have increasing demands and expectations of their pedagogical experience. They have become both consumer and business partners in their education. Universities are responding to this by evolving through innovation and investing to enhance, develop and update services, infrastructure and learning environments. Reasons include improving the student experience, gaining higher National Student Survey scores and re-developing space and technologies which are no longer fit for purpose.
SCHOMS is the professional body for Senior Managers working within UK Higher Education who lead and manage a diverse set of educational, technological, media and institutional development and support services. SCHOMS members design, develop, deliver and support existing and new learning environments and technologies.
To provide strategic direction in the development and support of learning environments, systems, associated technologies, and professionals.
Strategic Aim 1
To enhance and improve the experience of spaces, technology, and media to support learning
- Identify and promote case studies of best practice.
- Provide opportunity to collaborate with community members.
- Influence policy makers at local, national, and international level.
- Consider innovative and environmentally sustainable technology solutions.
Strategic Aim 2
To influence industry, by continuing to develop an effective community of practice
- Develop effective partnerships with relevant representative bodies.
- Represent the interests of the community for national AV procurement Frameworks.
- Provide a forum to enable members to engage with the community.
- Collaborate with manufacturers and sponsors to develop technology.
Strategic Aim 3
To be financially sustainable and provide value for members
- Ensure SCHOMS has a robust governance structure and is financially sustainable.
- Review membership fees to ensure value.
- Effectively engage with sponsors and partners to ensure the future of SCHOMS.
- Sustain an inclusive and valued culture for members.
Strategic Aim 4
To provide opportunities for development and growth
- Continue to develop SCHOMS as an agile organisation to respond effectively to changing situations and operating environments.
- Create opportunities to attend conferences and events.
- Continued partnership with AXIXA to provide value and benefits for members.
- Provide a bursary development scheme.